Message channel settings in Innsida - Kunnskapsbasen
Message channel settings in Innsida
A guide to changing the settings for intranet message channels.
Norsk versjon - Administrere kanaler i Innsida.
How to change settings for a channel
- Click the name of the channel (2)
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner (3)
- Click Administrate (4)
If you are an administrator of the channel you can:
- change the channel name
- change the channel icon
- change who has read and write access to the channel
- add administrators
- remove the possibility of commenting messages posted in the channel
- review a list of channel subscribers and remove individuals from the list
- accept or decline new subscription requests (Norwegian)
- add members
- see statistics for the channel
- delete the channel.
From the Channeltab you control who can read the messages posted to a specific channel.
The choices are:
- Subscribers - the channel is closed to everyone except for the channel subscribers. If someone asks to subscribe, an administrator has to approve the request.
- NTNU - open to users who are logged into the NTNU system and who want to subscribe. New members do not have to be approved.
- The public - the messages in the channel are also accessible without logging into Innsida via an RSS-feed.
The settings for who can write messages can be changed from the Advanced options tab.
The options are:
- (Strict) Administrator - Only the administrator can write messages.
- (Normal) Subscribers - Everyone who has subscribed to the channel can write messages.
- (Open) NTNU - Staff and students who are logged on to Innsida can post messages.
The channel's info page (example) contains facts about the channel.
How to find the info page for a particular message channel:
- From My page, click on the channel in the list of channels in the left hand menu.
- Click on the three dots in the top righ corner.
- Choose Channel info and Sharing.
Use the info page to:
- Subscribe or delete your subscription
- Share the channel with others - Send the URL for the info page to whoever you want to. Anyone who follows the link can subscribe to the channel with one easy click, using the subscribe button.
- Find out who the administrator is
- Find the RSS feed for the channel (available only if reading access is Public)
The channel administrators can:
- Change the channel's settings at any time.
- Edit and remove all messages that are written in the channel.
- Remove comments.
- Approve subscription requests for closed channels.
- Add subscribers
- Give administrator access to other people and remove administrators
Existing channel administrators can give the role to others by clicking the three dots, then Administrate and then Admin(s). You can remove yourself as an administrator after you have added someone else to take over the responsibility. There always has to be at least one adminstrator.
If there is no excisting channel adminstrator and you want to be, write to Orakel Support Services and ask for access.
By clicking the three dots and then Administrate you find Statistics. Here you can find out how many that read the messages that are posted. Please note that the numbers must be understood as follows:
- Everytime a reader clicks on the title of a message for the first time, the click is registered.
- If the message has been published in multiple channels the statistics will show the total number of readers that have read the message in all the channels.
- The numbers only go back a year.
Why am I a channel administrator?
- You have created a channel: Anyone who creates a new message channel is automatically both an administrator and a subscriber. You can remove yourself as an administrator as soon as you find someone else who can take the role.
- OR you have been assigned the task. Departments, groups and research centres have assigned this role to certain individuals – with an emphasis on Web editors and local IT support.
- OR you are an instructor or are otherwise responsible for a course - Applies only to course channels.