- Write Academically
- Finding sources
- Using and citing sources
- Tools for academic writing
- Glossary of terms
LaTeX is a typesetting system used for formatting documents. It is mostly used in subjects such as linguistics and maths because it is capable of formatting documents that have complex layouts and tables.
There are different kinds of editor programs of LaTeX to choose from:
Windows and Mac:
- Overleaf - Online, interactive tool that makes it simpler to share a document and collaborate with others. You must set up your own account.
BibLaTeX and BibTeX
These reference management tools can be used with LaTeX to put in-text references in the right place and to write a reference list with the chosen style at the end of the document.
BibLaTeX is a format similar to BibTeX. Some advantages of BibLaTeX are that it supports UTF8 characters in references (e.g. æ, ø, å), has more fields for reference information and is easier to use with different reference styles. More information on BibLaTeX.
Jabref – a help program that is used when you download references from databases in BibTeX-format. The program gives you an overview of references, including information about the author, the book/article title, year of publication and abstract. Jabref is used with LaTeX to put references in-text and generate a reference list.
Biber – Many databases offer the option of downloading references in BibTeX format. If you choose to use BibLaTeX format, you can use the program Biber to make a reference list and organize references.
Useful links for learning and support of LaTex, BibLaTeX and BibTeX:
- “Informasjon om LaTeX med venner” – University of Oslo. Contains introduction pamphlets, general documentation, support programs, LaTeX classification, fonts, use packages (LaTeX-packages) and information about BibTeX. (The UiO website is in Norwegian, but most of the links are in English).
- LaTeX User Guide
- Help in using languages other than English in LaTeX
- Problem solving (forum)
- How to use special symbols in LaTeX e.g. æ. ø. å, and Greek letters.
- Here you will find use packages for LaTeX, free to download.
- Video: Using LaTeX with the editing program TeXworks
LaTeX, BibTeX, BibLaTeX:
- Guide to LaTeX og BibTeX via wikibooks
- Kursmateriell til BibLaTeX, BibTeX, mm. fra Knut Hegna, Universitetet i Oslo (in Norwegian)
- Guide og informasjon til bruk av BibTeX fra Universitetet i Oslo. (In Norwegian)
- Video, introduction to BibLaTeX with editing program LaTeX
- “The BibLaTeX package”, written by Philipp Lehman. Here you will also find a user manual.