Practical preparations before exchange

Here you'll find information about the most important things you will need to prepare before going on exchange abroad, after receiving admission. The most important of which are visa, vaccinations and insurance.

Denne siden på norsk.

Also see the main page about exchange.  


Many countries outside Europe will require you to have a student visa. It is your own responsibility to check whether you will need a visa for the country you intend to study in. Note that you cannot apply for a visa until you have receieved a confirmation of admission from the foreign institution. 

Check the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs' list (in Norwegian) to see what countries require a visa. It may also be wise to check with the Norwegian embassy in the country you intend to study in.

There is also some information on the Office of International Relations' country and region pages.


It may be neccessary to take vaccines before your exchange stay. More information can be found on the HSE divison's pages.


You are responsible for ensuring that you have a sufficiently good travel and health insurance during your stay abroad. 

Health insurance through Lånekassen

If you have an EEA citizenship and receive support (loan and/or stipend) from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund (Lånekassen), you are in most cases (see below) automatically covered with health insurance during your studies. Confirmation of insurance is sent automatically from HELFO after your application for funding from Lånekassen has been processed. You can read more about what this health insurance covers at

Voluntary membership in the Norwegian Insurance Scheme

Students who do not receive support from Lånekassen may lose their automatic insurance coverage during studies abroad. This also applies to students with foreign citizenship receiving support from Lånekassen. If you take a paid job while studying abroad, you may also lose your coverage.

  • Foreign citizens must apply for membership in the Norwegian Insurance Scheme to ensure health insurance coverage during their stay abroad. This is done through Nav. Membership is free, as long as you do not earn money abroad during your stay.
  • Students with an EEA citizenship who are not receiving support from Lånekassen, can be members of the Norwegian Insurance Scheme during studies abroad lasting less than 12 months. If you intend to stay longer than 12 months, you must apply for membership in the Norwegian Insurance Scheme
  • Membership in the Norwegian Insurance Scheme ceases automatically if you take a paid job abroad your exchange stay, or if you for other reasons are covered by a national insurance scheme in your host country.

European Health Insurance Scheme and Travel insurance

Order a European Health Insurance Card if you will be studying in an EU/EEA country. The card documents your right to necessary medical treatment. 

Extended travel insurance will also be necessary, in addition to the health insurance.
Note: NTNU requires students going on exchange during the Corona pandemic to have travel insurance that covers illness related to Covid-19. This is the students responsibility to ensure.

Insurance for internship students

Responsibility and accident insurance

It may also be necessary to have 'Responsbility and accident' insurance while on internships in practical studies (praksis). This applies especially for students in health and social worker studies, but may also apply to others. You are responsible for checking whether this applies to you and to attain the correct insurances. You may check with a student counselor at your faculty, department or study programme for more information.

If you receive wages or have cancelled your studies

Students who receive support from Lånekassen are usually obligatory members of the Norwegian Insurance Scheme. However, if you receive wages, or have an internship after a finished degree (called an Erasmus Recent Graduate Student), you will no longer be covered by the insurance scheme. To keep your membership during your stay abroad, you will have to apply for voluntary membership.

It is your responsibility to check how the rules for membership in the Norwegian Insurance Scheme applies to your situation.  

Other things to remember before your journey

  • Pay close attention to your e-mail. All information about your application and exchange will be sent to your NTNU address.
  • Perform any necessary language preparations. Get aquainted with the local language and check whether or not your need to take a language test.
  • Upload the admission letter from the foreign institution to Søknadsweb. After this, you will receive an offer from NTNU for an exchange spot and any stipends you are eligible for. 
  • Apply to Lånekassen. When you have accepted NTNU's offer for an exchange spot, we will let Lånekassen know that your are going on exchange. Once the Office of International Relations sends you a confirmation of this, you may apply for fudning from Lånekassen.
  • Find a place to stay abroad. Your host institution will in most cases be able to give you guidance on how to find a residence.
  • Pay the semester fee and register as usual. You still need to be registered as a student at NTNU during your exchange stay, but remember to withdraw from examinations if you won't be taking any exams at NTNU during your stay.


Contact information

Office of International Relations  


2998 Visninger
Målgruppe: Studenter Tema: Utenlandsstudier