Parking rules at NTNU - Kunnskapsbasen
Parking rules at NTNU
Rules for parking on NTNU property. Applies to employees and students. Norsk versjon: Parkeringsregler på NTNU.
- Parking fee period
- Payment methods
- Parking zones
- On-site parking at Gløshaugen (zones A and B) and Kalvskinnet (Zone A)
- Parking control
- Appealing a parking ticket
- Electric cars
- HC parking
- MC/scooter parking
- Reservation of parking spaces
- Why does NTNU have parking fees?
Everyone has to pay a parking fee to park on NTNU property. Parking control on the university's property is enforced by civil law. This means that NTNU decides the procedures for parking on the university's property. NTNU can add, remove and change parking spaces without approval from the police or Trondheim municipality.
Contact Trondheim Parkering AS if you want to complain about a parking ticket you have received.
- Employees and students: 5 kroner per hour (provided that parking agreement has been activated in the SmartPark app).
- Visitors: 28 kroner per hour.
Employees and students can also park in zones for visitors’ parking, but will in these cases have to pay 28 kroner per hour. The same rates apply for parking at all campuses.
Parking fee period
The parking fee applies on weekdays 8 am–4 pm. Parking is free of charge on weekends and holidays.
There are 3 payment options;
- Parking app, SmartPark, for smartphones. Available in App Store and Google Play
- Pay online
- Payment machines in selected locations
At all other locations than Gløshaugen, you can park wherever you like provided that you follow the applicable signs.
Employee/student at the Faculty of Medicine (DMF)? See the separate parking information for DMF (in Norwegian).
Parking at Dragvoll
- See map (in Norwegian)
Parking at Gjøvik
Parking at Gløshaugen
- Zone A – only for employees/students with on-site parking permission, and visitors. Also available for HC, MC. See map (in Norwegian).
- Zone B – only for employees/students with on-site parking permission, and visitors. Also available for HC, MC. See map (in Norwegian)
- Zone C, Hesthagen– for NTNU employees and students only. No parking for visitors. Parking is prohibited during the period 00:00-06:00.
See map (in Norwegian).
- Zone D, Valgrinda – available for all NTNU employees/students and visitors. See map (in Norwegian).
- Visitors’ parking at Gløshaugen – NTNU employees and students can also park in zones A and B as visitors. If they do, they will pay the visitors’ rate (28 kr/hour) instead of the NTNU rate (5 kr/hour)
Parking at NTNU Kalvskinnet
- See map (in Norwegian). Parking is prohibited during the period 00:00-06:00
- See map - Arkitekt Christies gate (in Norwegian). Parking is prohibited during the period 00:00-06:00
Parking at NTNU Skipsmodelltanken
- Parking for employees, students and visitors.
Parking at NTNU Tungasletta
- See map (in Norwegian)
On-site parking at Gløshaugen (zones A and B) and Kalvskinnet (Zone A)
- Employees and students can apply for a temporary parking space (zones A or B) at the Gløshaugen plateau or at Kalvskinnet for medical or social reasons.
Trondheim Parkering AS is responsible for enforcing the parking system at NTNU. All cars are controlled every day. The officers scan the license plates to check that a parking agreement is activated. If activated, you can pay the NTNU rate (5 kr/hour).
Even if you have an activated parking agreement, you can get a ticket in the following instances:
- Using on-site parking in zones A or B at Gløshaugen without permission from HSE or the Human Resources Department.
- Using a visitors’ parking space in zones A and B at Gløshaugen without paying the full rate of 28 kr/h. In these spaces you have to pay the same rate as regular visitors.
Appealing a parking ticket
Contact Trondheim Parkering AS if you want to appeal a parking ticket.
- Requires activation of parking agreement in the app. You must not activate a ticket in the app when parking at parking spaces reserved for students and employees, if you do so you will be charged 5kr/h. When you park ay spaces reserved for visitors you have to activate a ticket and pay visitors rate.
- Electric cars do not park for free on the Gløshaugen Plateau. Nearest free parking spaces for electric cars are at Hesthagen (Zone C) or at Valgrinda (Zone D). If you have an electric car wishing to park on the Gløshaugen plateau, you must pay the visitor's rate (28 kr /hour)
- Cannot park in HC and MC spaces.
- Visitors have to pay 28 kroner/hour
- Requires a HC certificate issued by the municipality
- Free parking in all parking spaces, except MC parking and electric car charging stations.
- Does not require activation of a parking agreement.
- Free parking only in designated MC parking spaces.
- Does not require activation of a parking agreement when you park at designated MC parking spaces.
- Regular motorcycles/scooters can park in regular, paid parking spaces, but will in these cases have to pay the fee. To get the NTNU discount, the motorcycle/scooter must activate a parking agreement.
- MC parking spaces are only available for two- or three-wheel motorcycles.
ATV's parked in regular, paid parking spaces are subject to the same fee as regular cars. ATV's cannot park in MC spaces.
Reservation of parking spaces
NTNU does not reserve parking spaces for visitors, but ensures that there is the correct capacity for visitor available. Visitors will have to pay for parking and must follow the on-site signage.
The hosts at NTNU (ie the specific department responsible for the guests) must make sure to inform about parking possibilities and take responsibility for transport.
Special visitors may arrive with escort. If parking is being checked at this time, the escort must relate to the inspector and follow the instructions given.
Why does NTNU have parking fees?
The new parking system at NTNU originates from NTNU's environmental ambition (in Norwegian) (pdf), which was passed at a Dean's meeting in 2012. The environmental ambition defines specific objectives within energy consumption, waste, procurement and transport.
General environmental objectives
"NTNU shall be a leading university in utilising knowledge from its research in its own practice, to secure a environmentally sound activity throughout. This entails that we need to have full control over the environmental impact of our activity, and to make our employees, students and the outside world aware of this.
NTNU shall at all times have specific objectives for reducing environmental impact."
Subsidiary objectives for transport
"NTNU shall arrange for employees and students to have access to environmentally friendly means of transport in their every day journey to and from the university campuses."
Measures to promote environmentally friendly transport solutions:
- Carpooling, company buss passes, electric bikes, etc. should take care of service transport
- Better conditions for cyclists, including more bike sheds and changing rooms
- Free parking for electric cars
- Trouble with the SmartPark app or trouble with activating a parking agreement, contact Trondheim Parkering AS: firstname.lastname@example.org/ 73 10 98 80
- Questions related to parking rules: Contact Custodial Service or email@example.com
Child Pages (2)
Criteria and procedures for applying for temporary on-site parking on the Gløshaugen plateau or at Kalvskinnet for health or social reasons. Norsk versjon: Søk om nærparkering på NTNU Topic page...
From 4 September 2023, it is Trondheim Parkering AS that enforces the parking scheme for NTNU. The SmartPark app must then be used. These instructions apply to employees and students....