Career support and development for postdocs - Kunnskapsbasen
Career support and development for postdocs
This page provides an overview over career development instruments and other resources available for current and prospective postdocs at NTNU. As an employer, NTNU wishes to systematically, and actively, support the career development of all its postdoctoral researchers in order to guarantee a positive postdoc experience at NTNU and to maximize their future career opportunities and perspectives.
Norsk versjon: Karriereutvikling for postdoktorer
- Courses and seminars 2023:https://studntnu.sharepoint.com/sites/kurs/Sider/PhD-supervisor-seminar.aspx
- Extensions due to the coronavirus pandemic
- Long-term goals for career support and development
- The Postdoc Action
- Online resources
Courses and seminars 2023:
- Next PhD-supervisor seminar will be 22. and 23. November 2023. Registration opens in August.
Courses and seminars will be announced on NTNUs Skills development and courses pages («Læringsportalen»)
NTNUs Educational Development Unit («Uniped») also organizes relevant courses, see Unipeds optional modules in pedagogical basic competence (offered both in English and in Norwegian).
Extensions due to the coronavirus pandemic
Extensions for postdocs due to the coronavirus pandemic
Long-term goals for career support and development
By establishing a new and more holistic career support and career development policy, NTNU aims to:
- Provide postdocs with optimal career development support during their appointment at NTNU, in order to help postdoctoral researchers to maximize their future career opportunities.
- Offer a range of instruments that can contribute to a positive and successful postdoctoral experience (strengthening research, education and innovation), for both the individual postdoctoral candidate as well as the employer.
The Postdoc Action
«The Postdoc Action» was initiated by The University Research Committee and launched in 2017. Read more about the NTNU Postdoc Action Pilot and its goals. Read Information about the Postdoc Action Pilot Project and Final report Postdoc Action Pilot Project.
- Postdoc employee dialogue: The dialogue is an annual employee interview with a close leader. It should serve as a foundation for career strategy, employee development and mapping of the working environment.
- Career plan for postdocs: A career plan is an awareness process and documentation that clarifies one’s career goals. It will be followed up regularly in annual employee interviews.
The NTNU Postdoc Action Pilot project has developed these templates, which will be further evaluated and adjusted. These templates may already be used by all postdocs at NTNU, and can freely be adjusted by and tailored to the situation of the individual postdoc.
the following online resources may also be relevant for current and prospective postdocs at NTNU, seeking to maximize their career opportunities.
Career development and job application resources
- Regulations on conditions of employment for positions as postdoc, PhD-candidate, scientific assistant and specialist candidate (in Norwegian)
- Vitae - Realizing the potential in researchers
- Career development toolkit for researchers
- REFLEX Researcher Career Development Scheme
- Career planning for PhDs e-book
- Euraxess - European jobs
- Tips on writing an academic CV
- Academic cover letters
- How to prepare for a job interview
Other resources for current and prospective postdocs at NTNU
- Vacant positions at NTNU
- The Research Council of Norway – Look for funding opportunities
- NTNU International Researcher Support - NIRS – Among other services, NIRS offers counselling services for administrative staff and researchers working at or visiting NTNU.
- Gender equality at NTNU
- DION – The interest organization for doctoral and postdoctoral candidates at NTNU
- New in Norway
- Learn Norwegian
- Career centre of Sør-Trøndelag County – Offers free career guidance and organizes job application courses (website currently only available in Norwegian)
- For questions related to centrally offered career development instruments or feedback to this website:
Contact Kristin Skjeldestad, HR- and HSE Division
- For questions related to the individual disciplines at the faculties and institutes:
Contact the respective unit directly. See overview of all units at NTNU.