Care for close family members - Kunnskapsbasen
Care for close family members
You are entitled to unpaid leave for up to 10 days to take care of close family members who need nursing or care. Close family members are your parents, spouse, cohabitant or registered partner.
Norsk versjon - Omsorg for nære pårørende
Typical situations are where the person who needs care cannot manage by themselves and needs to be accompanied to a doctor / dentist, specialist or hospital for acute illness or for tests. Everyday activities such as housework and shopping are excluded.
Under the Working Environment Act, there is no statutory right to salary for this type of leave. However, the Basic Collective Agreement allows for leave to care for close relatives in some cases when it can be granted as compassionate leave.
The same rights apply to next of kin for children with disabilities or chronic illness after they have turned 18.
References and legislation
- Working Environment Act Section 12-10
- Basic Collective Agreement 7.3.22 Section 22
- NTNUs policy for "Compassionate leave"
Do you have questions or need help? Contact your local HR employee.
Are you employed by:
- Faculty of Economics and Management (OK)
- Faculty Administration at Faculty for Engineering (IV)
- Department of Marine Technology (IMT)
- Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering (IVB)
- Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MTP)
- IT Division
- Communication Division
- HR and HSE Division
- NTNU University Library
Use the following contact points for the service center:
- Service telephone: 73 41 31 40