National ID number for international students - Kunnskapsbasen
National ID number for international students
Information regarding the application process for a national ID-number for international students.
Topic page for new international students
If you have a residence permit to stay in Norway for more than six months, and you are staying for more than six months, you will need a national ID-number from the National Population Register.
When to apply
- Nordic students: You can apply once you have arrived in Norway
- EU/EEA students: You can apply as soon as you have received your registration certificate
- Non-EU/Non-EEA students: You will get an ID-number automatically if you are staying in Norway for more than 6 months. You do not need to apply
Non-EU/non-EEA students staying in Norway for more than 6 months will automatically receive an ID-number a couple of weeks after registering at the police station. You do not need to apply.
EU/EEA/Nordic students - how to apply
- Fill out the form "Moving to Norway"
- You can tick ‘No’ to “Are you a commuter from a EEA/EU-country?”
- Book an appointment:
- Bring the form to the The National Population Register, which is co-located with the Norwegian Tax Administration (Skatteetaten).
- In addition to the form, you must bring your:
- Residence permit (residence card/registration certificate)
- NTNU student card and semester card
- Housing contract