Home office - Security - Kunnskapsbasen
Home office - Security
What must you do to ensure privacy and information security in your home office? Here are a few simple steps you should follow for secure information processing. Most NTNU employees are now working from home and this can create some additional, perhaps unforeseen, challenges.
A home office is usually not as well protected as the offices at NTNU. Therefore, you should now be extra conscious about how to process information in the new working day, and pay particular attention to sensitive personal information and confidential information.
Norsk versjon: Hjemmekontor - sikkerhet
- Do I need to use VPN when working from home?
- ICT equipment in the home office
- Updated software and Cisco AMP Antivirus
- Understand the value of the information you process and store
- Take care of your privacy
- You are the best protector
- Don't believe everything you read
- See also
- Contact - report irregularities and security incidents
Do I need to use VPN when working from home?
- No, you only need this when you work in systems that require it. You will not be able to access these tools without a VPN connection
- Avoid using VPN when in video conferencing, as this can make the connection very slow.
ICT equipment in the home office
- You should use NTNU's ICT equipment if possible.
- If you need to use private equipment, clarify this with your supervisor/manager.
- Private equipment should not be shared with others.
- Do not allow guests and children to access the devices you use to work.
Updated software and Cisco AMP Antivirus
- Update the software on your devices.
- Make sure your PC, MAC, and mobile devices have enabled auto-update. By doing this, you are preventing hackers from exploiting vulnerabilities on your devices.
- Install security software
- ICT equipment used in a job context must have Cisco AMP installed. You can check this by looking at the bottom right of your PC, or in the menu at the top of your MAC.
- If you do not find the symbol then you can install antivirus yourself.
Understand the value of the information you process and store
It is important that you consider the information you process and that you understand how to store and transfer information securely. You can read more about how to classify information, and how to tag and encrypt documents here.
NTNU also has a Data storage guide that we strongly recommend you look at and follow.
Take care of your privacy
- What are you discussing at home? In your home office, confidential conversations can be heard by the others at home. Be sure to take the necessary precautions and avoid using names and personal identifying information.
- Locking habits? Remember to lock your screen when you leave your PC.
- NTNU Approved? Use ICT systems provided by NTNU. In this way, you don't have to worry about digital security or computing agreement requirements. This is especially true if you collect data and process personal data. Familiarize yourself with the ICT systems available for the activities you do. Ask if unsure.
You are the best protector
Beware of scam emails. This is especially true for those emails which pretend to have been sent from someone you know and then ask you to click something or buy something. Pay extra attention to emails that appear to come from the director asking for something that violates the organization's routines. If you receive a strange email from the manager, call them to ask if the inquiry is real.
- Beware of scammers who take advantage of the covid-19 situation (Norwegian only)
- Read more about how to avoid being fooled by email
Don't believe everything you read
False news and disinformation about the corona virus is spreading quickly online and has a wide impact. False accounts on social media platforms are continuously being created and utilized to disseminate inaccurate information. Be critical of sensational coronation-themed news stories, and do not help spread false information.
Contact - report irregularities and security incidents
If you experience a breach of information security or privacy, or experience attempts to be deceived, it is important that you report as soon as possible.
- How to report digital security incidents and register deviations related to information security and privacy
- See also: All about Information Security