Tax deduction card for international students - Kunnskapsbasen
Tax deduction card for international students
Information for international students about when they need a tax deduction card and how to apply for it.
Topic page for new international students
If you have an income while you are in Norway, you need a Norwegian tax deduction card.
Students staying for less than 6 months
For students staying in Norway for less than 6 months and who will have income:
- The Tax office will issue you a tax deduction card and a D-number, a simplified version of the National ID-number.
- After receiving your D-number, you can also open a bank account.
Students staying for more than 6 months
For students staying in Norway for more than 6 months (with a valid residence permit for more than 6 months):
- You need a national ID number, issued by the National Population Register.
- After receiving your ID number you can order a tax card online.
- You can also open a bank account.
How to apply for a tax card
- Fill out the form Application for tax deduction card for foreign citizens.
- Present your employment contract with an estimate of your expected income.
- Bring your passport - national ID cards will not be accepted.
Case processing time is approximately 1–3 weeks.