Policy for the appointment and career development of postdocs - Kunnskapsbasen
Policy for the appointment and career development of postdocs
Page is under construction - January 2023
On this webpage, you will find the NTNU policy for the appointment and career development of postdoctoral fellows.
Norsk versjon: Politikk for ansettelse og karriereutvikling for postdoktorer
Are you looking for something else? Other NTNU strategies and plans
The NTNU policy for the appointment and career development of postdocs was adopted by the Rector on 12 January 2022 and shall contribute to the postdoctoral position becoming a genuine qualification position for permanent academic positions.
The NTNU policy is in accordance with the Ministry of Education and Research’s strategy for researcher recruitment and career development, where one of the goals is to “provide postdoctoral fellows with a good framework for developing an independent researcher profile and relevant expertise for a further scientific career.
NTNU policy for the appointment and career development of postdocs
- Appointment to a post as a postdoctoral fellow has as its main goal to qualify for work in permanent academic positions. A doctoral degree is required for the appointment. The job vacancy advertisement must specify all requirements associated with the position.
- Postdoctoral fellows at NTNU shall be appointed in accordance with the overall strategy and strategic personnel plan of the unit.
- Generally postdoctoral fellows at NTNU must be appointed after a public announcement. Appointments to postdoctoral positions shall only in exceptional cases and based on justification, be made without prior announcement.
- Postdoctoral fellows recruited from NTNU must have been at another institution for at least one year before their NTNU appointment or be able to refer to extensive experience from an academic environment outside NTNU. If this requirement is not satisfied, this must be compensated for in the career plan either by including a stay abroad or by other suitable actions which give the candidate experience from outside NTNU.
- At the time of hiring, a description of the postdoctoral research project and a realistic progress plan for the temporary appointment must be included in addition to the employment contract. From the outset, it must be clarified who is responsible for the follow-up of the employee with professional advice (“supervision”). In addition, the postdoctoral fellow will be offered a personal mentor from another professional environment.
- After the appointment, the institution is obliged to set up an individual career plan in consultation with the postdoctoral fellow, and this should take place at the first employee appraisal interview (initiating conversation). The supervisor and postdoctoral fellow complete the career plan together, which must specify career goals and measures to achieve the goals. The career plan must be followed up and updated regularly in the annual appraisal interviews. The career plan will be evaluated at the end of the postdoctoral fellowship period.
- The postdoctoral fellows shall carry out research at an international level to qualify for employment in permanent academic posts. Postdoctoral fellows should also gain experience with application writing and training in research management. NTNU will facilitate that postdoctoral fellows can take courses in pedagogical basic competence. The department shall, if possible, give postdoctoral fellows the opportunity to gain teaching experience.
- All postdoctoral fellows shall, if possible, be offered employment for a 3rd or 4th year. This will allow for internationalization, stays at other institutions, development of applications for research projects, and teaching and supervision experience.