Insurance and social security benefits while abroad

On this page you will find information about insurance and social security when staying abroad for employees.

Norsk versjon - Forsikring og trygd i utlandet.

Looking for something else? Topic page about Sabbatical | Pages labeled with sabbatical.

If you are going to stay abroad for a longer period of time, you do not necessarily have the same rights in the event of illness or accident as when you are in Norway. This varies depending on which country you are going to and how long you are going to be away. Contact NAV Oppfølging utland for information about Norway's National Insurance arrangements well before you travel abroad.

In the peak season, the administrative procedures can take 3-6 months.

Social security abroad

When you are going to work abroad for NTNU, you should apply to NAV for confirmation that you retain your membership in “the Norwegian national social security scheme”. Apply for confirmation of membership well in advance of departure.

Please note that the processing time for this application is between 4 and 12 weeks. The application is sent via your faculty to Nav international. Remember that you must apply for your whole family if they are to join.

For work executed within a EU/EEA country, membership in the Norwegian national social security scheme normally applies while working for NTNU abroad.
Norway has social security agreements with several other countries (In Norwegian) –
Read more about the cases where Norwegian National Insurance membership does not apply (in Norwegian) –

What the National Insurance Scheme covers

Social security agreements with other countries

If you work in an EEA country or Switzerland, you should be covered by the social security arrangements in the country in question. However, please note that there are exceptions (pdf).

European Health Insurance Card

To be entitled to necessary medical care in the European Economic Area (EEA) and in Switzerland, you must obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Order the card in good time before your departure, because it may take up to 10 days before it arrives in the post.

Family members and social security

Family members are automatically members of the National Insurance Scheme for stays abroad lasting less than 12 months. However, they may not work while they are living in the country where you have your sabbatical.

For longer stays, family members who are dependents may be covered by the National Insurance Scheme. The family member must have been a member of the National Insurance Scheme for 3 of the last 5 calendar years before the application is submitted.

Checklist for spouse/partner

Are you covered by the National Insurance Scheme when you are with your spouse/partner, or do you have to apply yourself? See NAV's checklist (in Norwegian) if you plan to accompany a researcher during a period of study abroad.

Insurance through NTNU

As an employee, you are included in "NTNU's group life insurance" - also when you are abroad.

Personal insurance during a sabbatical

It may be a good idea to buy personal travel insurance to supplement the coverage provided by the National Insurance Scheme or equivalent rights in other countries.

Personal insurance may cover areas such as:

  • Transport back home
  • Health problems
  • Theft
  • Accidents

As a minimum, you should buy insurance to cover transport home in case of illness or death. Also note that travel insurance policies may have a limited period of coverage. Make sure that you are covered for the entire sabbatical period.


Contact information

Nav Oppfølging utland