Computer glasses - Kunnskapsbasen
Employees are entitled to a visual examination and an assessment of their need for computer glasses or corrective safety glasses.
Norsk versjon - Databrille
What are computer glasses?
There are 2 types of computer glasses:
- Single vision
- Office progressive
Computer glasses have lenses that are adapted to work on a computer screen. The optician will determine which lens is the right one for you.
Who can order computer glasses?
Employees who regularly spend most of their working days in front of a computer screen can order an eye examination to determine if they need computer glasses.
Please note that any such request should be approved by your superior with authority to approve costs (budget allocation authority/BDM) beforehand.
Computer glasses for which expenses are covered, are considered property of the employer (NTNU) and must therefore be used in work associated with NTNU.
The employer will cover the following:
If the optician determines that you need computer glasses, your unit will cover the cost of the glasses, the fitting and a simple frame (in the price range NOK 149 - to 499). If the optician determines that you need to be referred to an eye specialist, your unit will cover your share (“egenandel”/deductible) of the cost associated with this.
If the frames you are looking to purchase costs more than NOK 499,-, NTNU will only cover NOK 200, - incl VAT. You will need to cover the remaining amount yourself.
Your unit will cover the costs related to the examination, the glasses (up to NOK 499,-), and the fitting of them. The optician will send an invoice to the unit.
Please note: Brilleland is the only supplier that NTNU has an agreement with when it comes to purchasing computer glasses for employees. This means that any eye examinations and glasses must be ordered from Brilleland if NTNU is to cover the expense.
How to order computer glasses
- Ask your superior with authority to approve costs (budget allocation authority/BDM) for approval before ordering a visual examination.
- Make an appointment at Brilleland. When you do so, please inform them that NTNU will send an electronic order.
- Fill out the Purchase Request Form well in advance of your appointment.
- You will need to take an approved purchase order from NTNU with you to Brilleland. This can also be submitted before the eye examination by e-mail to the store you have an appointment with.
- Purchase orders cannot be submitted retrospectively.
- We therefore recommend that you submit the Purchase Request Form at least one week before your appointment.
- E-mail addresses to Brilleland’s stores.
- Fill out the measurement form for computer glasses (pdf) and submit this together with the order from NTNU by e-mail or take it with you to the examination.
- When attending the visual examination, please state your name and that you are employed at NTNU.
If you experience issues with the computer glasses you have ordered through NTNU, you need to file a complaint with the supplier (“Brilleland”) as soon as possible. This must be done not later than 3 months after you have received the glasses. Any expenses related to complaints will be covered by the supplier.
Reuse of glasses
All NTNU employees are encouraged to give their old, but usable, glasses to Brilleland. The supplier will pass them on to the organization "Vision for all" for humanitarian aid.
Help and guidelines
- Regulation concerning Organisation, Management and Employee Participation
- Working in front of a computer screen - regulation and guidance from the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority (in Norwegian)
For questions about working environment and health, see prevention of work-related musculoskeletal disorders, or contact the company physiotherapist, Tina Hagen at the HR and HSE department.
For questions regarding the ordering process of computer glasses, please contact the Finance Division.