Computer glasses - Kunnskapsbasen
Employees are entitled to a visual examination and an assessment of their need for computer glasses or corrective safety glasses.
Norsk versjon - Databrille
What are computer glasses?
There are 2 types of computer glasses:
- Single vision
- Office progressive
Computer glasses have lenses that are adapted to work on a computer screen. The optician will determine which lens is the right one for you.
Who is entitled to computer glasses?
Employees who regularly and most of the day spend the time in front of a computer have the right to an eye examination to determine if they need computer glasses. This should be clarified with your manager.
The computer glasses that NTNU purchases for you are the property of NTNU and should be used for work-related to NTNU.
The employer covers the following matters:
If the optician determines that you need computer glasses, the unit will cover the cost of glasses, fitting and simple frame (Applies in the price range NOK 149 - to 499, use sorting "Pris fra lav til høy"). If the eye examination reveals issues that should be examined by an eye specialist, you will be sent to an eye doctor. If the issue is caused by your computer workplace, the unit will cover your portion of the fee of a standard eye specialist appointment.
If you want more expensive frames, NTNU will cover NOK 200, - incl VAT. The rest of the amount you must pay for yourself. The unit covers the cost related to the examination, the glasses, and fitting. The optician will send a bill to the unit.
Note: Brilleland is the only service provider with an agreement for computer glasses with NTNU. An eye examination must be ordered from Brilleland if NTNU is to cover the expense.
How to get computer glasses
- Contact your manager and get approval to order a visual examination,
- Make an appointment for a visual examination at Brilleland. State that there will be an electronic order from NTNU afterward.
- Submit the Purchase Requirement Form. Specify the chosen store in «Leverandør». Your local orderer receives this and sends an electronic order to the optician in the chosen store.
- Fill out a measurement form for computer glasses (doc) and bring it with you to the examination.
- State your name and that you are employed at NTNU when attending the eye examination.
If the computer glasses do not work, you have to complain to the optician as soon as possible, not later than 3 months after receiving the glasses. Any expenses related to complaints are covered by the optician.
Reuse of glasses
All NTNU employees are encouraged to hand in their old, but usable, glasses to Brilleland. The glasses are given to the organization "Vision for all" for humanitarian aid.
Help and guidelines
- Customize your computer workplace
- Measurement form for computer glasses
- Centrale HSE-guidelines (In Norwegian)
- Regulation concerning Organisation, Management and Employee Participation
- Working in front of a computer screen - regulation and guidance from the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority (in Norwegian)
For questions about working environment and health, see prevention of work-related musculoskeletal disorders (in Norwegian), or contact the company physiotherapist, Tina Hagen at the HR and HSE department.
For questions about routine when buying computer glasses, contact the Finance Department: