Area regulations - Kunnskapsbasen
- Electrical equipment, gas and fire
- Escape routes
- Common area rules
- Food trucks
- Spending the night at NTNU
- Parking and car-related activities
- Bicycle parking
- Emergency exits
Also see: Guidelines for the use of campus areas.
- You cannot drink or serve alcohol in common areas and classrooms at NTNU without a licence from Trondheim kommune. Serving alcohol without a licence is a violation of Norwegian Law and will be reported to the police. Alcohol in outdoor areas is not allowed.
- An application for serving of alcohol must be made at least 1 week before the event. It is not possible to drink alcohol on campus before 16:00
- Alcohol can be served at private events if permission is given beforehand by the faculty and the Property Division. If the event does not have such a permission, the event will be terminated immediately. In the booking details, give as much information about the event as possible, complete with times and what areas (including room numbers) that will be used. Use this application form in NTNU Help
- The coordinator or the organiser of events by the student organisations must notify the Property Division if there are any plans to serve alcohol during private events in rooms on campus that the organisations have at their disposal. Violations of this can result in denied access to the area.
- If use of alcohol results in disturbances and/or damage to NTNU’s property and equipment, the unit, organisation or union can be denied alcohol at a future event and may be held responsible for the damages done.
Electrical equipment, gas and fire
Electrical equipment for cooking
- Coffee makers and water boilers can only be used in designated kitchen areas. A hard-mounted timer, installed by a licensed electrician, is required. The installation is financed by the unit/user.
- Hotplates and ovens can be used in rooms projected as kitchens.
- Detached hotplates and cookers are prohibited.
- Microwave ovens and smaller electrical equipment, such as waffle irons, toasters, rice cookers, etc., can only be used in designated areas, decided by the building’s caretaker. The user must cover the establishment charges of this area.
- You cannot use extension cords without authorization from the Property Division.
Mobile heaters are not allowed in rooms with installed radiators; the building caretaker may make exceptions from this rule. Due to the fire hazard, furniture must never cover the heaters.
The use and storage of gases and flammable substances must be managed according to applied regulations; these include risk assessment.
Burning candles is prohibited in all buildings at NTNU.
- Disposable grills are prohibited due to the fire hazard.
- Barbecuing is only allowed in designated areas, at least 8 meters away from the campus building.
- Contact Property Division if the barbecue is part of a larger, organised event
- All events, indoors and outdoors, must be pre-approved
- Applications may be rejected during longer periods of dry weather.
The fabrics in curtains, furniture, etc. in any of NTNU’s building must be non-flammable.
NTNU will only approve applications for fireworks that include the following:
- A person with formal competence in fireworks. Documentation is required.
- A map of the area, including a description of downfall zones, safety zones and audience zones, must be included with the application.
- Risk assessment of the fireworks display (including an action plan).
- Permission from police and fire services must be included.
- In case of strong winds, planned fireworks may be cancelled.
- All users of NTNU’s owned and rented buildings must familiarize themselves with the building’s escape routes.
- Escape routes and signs / marking of escape routes must not be blocked.
- Escape routes must be kept tidy and not used for storage.
No animals, except guide dogs, are allowed entry to any of NTNU’s buildings. Exceptions to this rule apply to animals used for research or instructional purposes in dedicated rooms.
Common area rules
Decorating common areas or setting out new furniture, in addition to installing TV-screens, vending machines, advertising signs and banners must be approved by Property division This also applies for outdoor areas on all the NTNU campus areas.
Only approved publications by and for employees and students can be distributed in the common areas ("Stripa", "Gata" and similar). An application for distribution must be sent to the Property Division. Publications must be placed in the appropriate stand in the indicated area. Publications that are not placed in indicated areas will be removed. Posters must only be put up on approved notice boards.
In order to be able to offer food service from food trucks on NTNU's campus, you must apply for a permit.Requirements for the application:
The application must be in writing and up to 2 A4 pages. Photos and illustrations can be used in the description of the offer. Send the application to email@example.com
- The food truck should have a clear concept with a consistent theme, with a good quality food offer. Give a description of the concept and what makes it attractive.
- Give a brief description of how the concept meets the goal of sustainability, e.g. with regard to food supply, environmentally friendly serving equipment, as well as waste minimization.
- Give a brief description of the vehicle, any need for access to electricity or other infrastructure. Recommended maximum dimensions for vehicles: Length: 10 meters. Width: 2.5 meters. Height: 4 meters.
Attachments to be delivered:
- Documentation for registration of the business to Mattilsynet
- Copy of Norwegian vehicle registration card.
Processing and approval of the application
All applications are processed continuously. Only applications that meet the objectives of a high-quality, attractive and healthy food offer, as well as environmentally friendly and sustainable operations will be approved.If the application is approved, you will receive a contract proposal that must be completed, signed and returned. If the concept is not approved, you will receive a written rejection with reasons. Standard response time is two weeks. The contract can be terminated if any of the terms of the contract is violated. If NTNU points out unfortunate circumstances, and the tenant does not comply with orders, the approval may be revoked.
- Recyclable garbage should be sorted according to their source material.
- NTNU’s publicly available areas must remain representative and appealing at all times. Temporarily storing cleaning trolleys, garbage bags, service trolleys, furniture or other equipment in common areas is therefore prohibited.
- Only rooms that are projected as storages can be used for storing.
- Storing private property in NTNU’s buildings is prohibited (this does not apply to literature and smaller objects and equipment used in connection with work).
- It must not be stored objects closer to the sprinkler head than 50 cm.
Spending the night at NTNU
Spending the night in NTNU’s buildings is prohibited (this does not apply to housing procured by NTNU or the university’s field stations).
Parking and car-related activities
- Parking is only allowed inside marked squares
- Idle running is not permitted
- Privately owned cars are not allowed inside any of NTNU’s buildings
- Car wash is only permitted in places with an oil-interceptor
- Car repair is only allowed at an authorised car repair shop
Bicycles can only be parked outdoors, and in inside areas designated for bicycle parking. Parked bicycles are not allowed in other areas; this is to avoid blocking emergency exits and interfere with regular cleaning.
All visitors to NTNU must familiarise themselves with the building’s emergency exits.
Emergency exits and emergency exit signs must never be blocked or hidden.