Language preparation for studying abroad - Kunnskapsbasen
Language preparation for studying abroad
Norsk versjon: Språkforberedelser til utenlandsstudier
When preparing for studies abroad, we recommend that you also prepare yourself thoroughly for the language of instruction. The Department of Language and Literature has several introductory courses. In addition it is recommended that you continue to study the language after arrival.
If you are already eligible for receiving financial support from the State Educational Load Fund, you can apply for en extra scholarship if undertaking education or language courses abroad in another language than English. Get in touch with the State Educational Loan Fund if this applies to you.
English proficiency tests
Some institutions require documentation of your English proficiency. You should take the required tests well in advance of your departure.
- Test of English as a foreign language (TOEFL)
- Please see the ETS pages for where the TOEFL test is offered.
- International English language testing system (IELTS)
- In Norway, these tests are administered by Folkeuniversitetet and can be taken in Oslo, Bergen or Trondheim.
- If no more places are available, it is possible to be put on a waiting list. Please contact them at 55 55 36 30.
Students planning on applying for a degree program in the USA may also need to take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) (Graduate degree program) or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) (Undergraduate degree program). Very few universities require the GRE for students studying abroad. In 2015-16 the SAT was given in Oslo and Stavanger.
Spanish as the language of instruction
If you plan to study in South America, you will need to be proficient in Spanish. Most institutions will require proof of your proficiency. For studies in Brasil, Portuguese proficiency is required.